This week’s Vegetable Box Feature: Arugula (aka known as rocket)
Did you know?
How to Store It:
Don’t wash arugula until you are ready to use it. Arugula will last in the refrigerator for about one week, loosely wrapped in a plastic bag.
How to Use It:
Arugula can be eaten uncooked or cooked. You can use arugula uncooked in salads, either on its own, or in combination with other lettuces. Because it is quite peppery, it is often used as part of a lettuce blend, especially if the arugula is more mature and stronger in taste. It’s nice in sandwiches as well. You can also use it in recipes like soups, crostinis, lasagnas and other pasta dishes, pestos, vegetable sautes, and stir fries
Arugula is usually used raw, but it can be used in cooked dishes as well, much like spinach or other greens, or a fresh herb. Sauteing is one way to cook arugula, or including it in simmered, baked or roasted dishes.
Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan
Created By: Foodie Crush
A delicious side dish or your favourite protein to it for a full meal.
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups arugula
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper.
1. Use a vegetable peeler to shave long ribbons of fresh Parmesan cheese for this easy side salad.
2. If rinsing the arugula before tossing it with the dressing, be sure to use a salad spinner to shake off any excess moisture. You don’t want to wind up with a soggy arugula salad!
Arugula Pesto Recipe
Created by: Rachel Cooks
Switch up your pesto game with this arugula pesto. It's great on pasta, pizza, and so much more! Plus it’s nut free!
2 cups tightly packed fresh arugula
1 clove garlic
1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
½ cup good extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine arugula, garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese in a blender or a small food processor.
Spicy Lemon Arugula Penne
Created by: Fork in the Road
Delicious and only takes 20 minutes to prepare!
1 cup penne pasta
1 tsp salt, for pasta water
3 TBSP olive oil
2 whole garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ tsp red chili flakes
1 cup arugula
½ cup parmesan, or nutritional yeast if vegan
1 Pinch of sea salt
1 TBSP lemon juice, juice from about 1 lemon
1. Boil pasta: Bring 6 cups of water with one teaspoon of salt to a boil, then add penne pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. When pasta is done, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and then drain pasta and set aside.
Arugula Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Pecans
A delicious & colourful Fall salad!
1 apple cored and diced (use large apples, such as Fuji or Gala)
½ cup pecans lightly toasted
½ cup cranberries dried
Balsamic Dressing Ingredients
¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP olive oi
1. To a large bowl, add arugula, cored and diced apple, cranberries, and half of the toasted pecans (¼ cup).
Note: you don't have to use the whole amount of salad dressing. Use just enough to drizzle.
Comments will be approved before showing up.