This Week’s Vegetable Box Feature: Carrots “The crunchy powerfood”
Did you know?
Carrots are the second most popular type of vegetable after potatoes & were originally grown for their green leaves, but now we grow them for their orange roots.
Where to store them?
Carrots can be kept in your cool basement or fridge.
Wash, peel and chop according to your recipe.
Carrot Ginger Soup with Lemon Tahini Drizzle
Recipe created by: Joy McCarthy
A favourite during Ontario’s cold winters!
2 TBSP coconut oil
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb of carrots, peeled & chopped
4 cups vegetable broth
salt & pepper
¼ cup tahini
juice of ½ lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TBSP water
1. Melt coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Add carrots and continue to sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Add vegetable broth, increase heat to bring the soup to a boil. Once it is boiling, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20-30 minutes.
2. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a regular blender. Season with salt & pepper.
3. For the drizzle, combine all ingredients in a small bowl & whisk to blend. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Reheat the soup if needed. Pour soup into bowls and drizzle with tahini dressing.
Shredded Carrot Salad
Recipe created by: Brittany Lynn Wellness
2 carrots, grated
1 tsp coconut or olive oil
1 tsp white rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp of fresh squeezed lemon or lime
1. Grate carrots into a bowl.
2. In a small bowl/dish mix together the rest of the ingredients.
3. Pour dressing over carrots & enjoy!
Recipes are curated by Lauren in partnership with Backed by Bees
Comments will be approved before showing up.