This week’s Vegetable Box Feature: English Cucumber, also known as the European cucumber, hothouse cucumber, or seedless cucumber.
Did you know?
Where to Store it?
It might seem strange that the English cucumber is sold in plastic wrap, but it’s necessary because of its very delicate skin. Store your cucumber in the produce drawer in your refrigerator with the plastic wrap on. It stays good for about 1 week refrigerated in the plastic wrap.
Wash your cucumbers before using, but the benefit of using English cucumbers, no need to peel or seed them. After washing they can be sliced or chopped and add to recipes or enjoyed on their own.
How to Use:
English Cucumbers are to be eaten raw with the peel on. You can eat them in salad, on sandwiches, or by themselves. They are also great for juicing. You don’t want to cook them because they become too mushy!
English Cucumber Salad
Created by: Sonja and Alex
Here’s an ultra refreshing side dish: perfect for Spring/Summer BBQs and picnics!
1. Thinly slice the shallots (separate them into rings with your fingers). In a small container, stir together the shallots with the sour cream, white vinegar, dried dill, grated garlic clove, kosher salt, and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Created by:Sonja & Alex
This cooling cucumber juice recipe is easy to whip up in a blender: no juicer needed! It’s a great way to use this hydrating vegetable.A great afternoon energy boost!
1. Roughly chop the cucumber. Chop the apple, keeping the skin on.
2. Place the cucumber, apple, water, and salt in a blender. Blend on high until pureed and a juice form.
3. Pass the juice through a fine mesh sieve or a nut milk bag to strain out the pulp. Discard the pulp. Stir in the fresh lemon or lime juice (add more if desired). Drink immediately over ice, or chill before drinking.
Created by: Sonja & Alex
This cucumber salsa is cool and zesty, pairing this crunchy veggie with jalapeño, cilantro and lime. Ideal for chips, tacos, and more!
1. Chop the English cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, jalapeño peppers, and cilantro as noted above.
2. Place the vegetables in a medium bowl and mix with the cumin, lime juice, and kosher salt. Taste and adjust flavors as desired. Serve immediately with chips, tacos or grilled fish. Stores refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Comments will be approved before showing up.