Putting some numbers to 'busy as a bee'!
Looking for some really cool facts about just how hard bees work?
Check some of these out...
- To make one pound of honey, it takes a bee the equivalent of 3 trips around the world (144800km)
- In a workers life time, she can fly a distance that is equivalent to 1.5 trips around the world
- A bee can produce 1/12 of a teaspoon of honey in its life
- Each nectar trip, the bee will visit between 50-100 flowers and will not jump between flower/plant species
- Can move wings at 12000 beats/min (200/second)
- Queen can lay up to 2500 eggs a day at her peak production
- One hive can collect around 66 lbs of pollen/year and 300 lbs of honey/year
- Workers can carry up to 80% of their body weight in honey or pollen back to the hive
- An average honey bee colony rears 150000 bees in a year
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.